Inside Wire (IW) Definition
Inside Wire (IW) consists of all wiring and materials on the customer's side of the demarcation point determined by Calaveras Telephone Company (CalTel) in accordance with the rules and regulations of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The demarcation point is that point where CalTel's lines enter your building or home. (Usually at the Standard Network Interface (SNI) or Protector.)
Responsibilities of the Building Owner
- IW is considered the property of the building owner.
- If the building owner is a residential landlord (lessor), the building owner is responsible for installing at least one usable telephone jack per rental unit, for placing and maintaining the inside telephone wiring in good working order, for ensuring that the inside telephone wire meets National Electrical Code standards, making any required repairs, and establishing a mutual agreement with the tenant for repair reimbursements, if applicable.
Responsibilities of CalTel
- CalTel will always be available to install or repair IW.
- CalTel will work with you to determine whether a malfunction in a telephone line is located in your IW or in CalTel's network.
- CalTel will inform you of your options if it is determined that your IW is at fault.
- You are responsible for reporting malfunctions of the telephone line to CalTel.
- You will be requested to perform a simple isolation test of the IW at the SNI.
- If you are a tenant (lessee), you should establish an agreement with your landlord regarding repair procedures.
You should be aware that, under state law, residential landlords and not tenants are responsible for repairs and maintenance of residential inside telephone wire.
Trouble Isolation Procedures
- Telephone repair reports may be made to Calaveras Telephone by dialing 611 from any Calaveras Telephone line.
- An SNI has been installed at the demarcation point. This device allows you to determine if the trouble is caused by your equipment, or inside wire, or CalTel' lines.
Your premise is equipped with an SNI, CalTel will advise you to unplug the module at the SNI and plug a phone known to be in working order into the SNI.
- If the phone doesn't work at the SNI, the trouble is assumed to be in CalTel's network, and CalTel will arrange for repair as soon as possible at no charge.
- You will also be advised that if you decline to perform the test at the SNI, CalTel will perform the test. If the trouble turns out to be in your IW, however, you will be billed $75.00 visit charge during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. & $85.00 during other hours
If it is determined that the problem is with the inside wire, there are several options:
As a Customer or Tenant (lessee) or as a Landlord (lessor):
- You may do your own repair work.
- You may hire someone to do the repair work for a fee.
- You may hire CalTel to do the repair work for a fee.
- If you authorize repair work from CalTel, you will be billed the appropriate charges and will be responsible for payment.
CalTel Offers IW Repair on a Time-And-Materials Basis at the Following Rates:
- $75.00 per hour or fraction thereof, during regular business hours.
- $85.00 per hour or fraction thereof, after regular business hours including Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
- These rates include work preparation, actual work, and cleanup. Billing time begins at time of dispatch. Materials are billed at prevailing retail rate.
CalTel offers a $1.00 per month maintenance plan.
Other Vendors Also Offer IW Services
Other vendors also offer IW services in CalTel's service area. Please consult the classified ads in your local newspaper or telephone directory.
If you have any questions about our services, please call the business office at 785-2211 or toll free at (800) 253-2511.